Patient Care is A Priority in any Functional Medicine Practice
A front desk manager is the main hub which all activities go through and an integral part of the patient’s experience in a functional medicine clinic. This individual must be a “jack of all trades” – the public relations, the traffic control, the information, and the practice builder contact. The front desk manager has more influence over patients keeping appointments than any other person in the office, including the doctor. The speed and efficiency of the office is almost entirely dependent on the front desk manager. As a whole this employee needs to possess the following qualifications:
- Ability to lead
- Ability to designate
- Ability to be firm yet gentle with patients
- Ability to ask for money without flinching
- The knowledge of every other position in your office
- The manager should be behind the doctor’s mission 100%
Stellar Customer Service
Office employees should not only meet patients’ expectations, they should anticipate their needs. It is expected that staff would follow-up on any concerns a patient expressed, but a great employee heads off concerns before they happen. “Mrs. Jones, I noticed it was time to refill your supplements, so I have taken the liberty to put them together for you.” or “Mr. Johnson, I noticed that it is time for your re-exam and I’ve schedule that for Tuesday at 6pm so you won’t have to miss work.”
There is a certain “expectation” most patients have, before they ever walk in the front door. Patients have pre-programmed needs as a consumer:
- They want to be listened to, and taken seriously.
- They want you to understand their problems.
- They want to know that you can help them.
- They want you to convey a sense of “urgency” to their needs.
- They do not want to be inconvenienced, or kept waiting.
- They want to be treated with respect.
- They want assurances.
Finding the Right Employees for Your Functional Medicine Practice
I put together a short article on the easiest way to find your key employees. Make sure you take the time to check it out.