The world of medicine is ever evolving, as is the world of digital marketing. In order for practitioners to reach new patients and stay engaged with current patients, it is vital to connect with people online. The key to reaching people online is having a solid search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. Users who are interested in functional medicine and those who are interested in the practice but are unsure of what they are looking for, can both be targeted through a well-executed SEO strategy.
SEO helps you reach your audience by utilizing your website and other digital platforms to reach people looking for your services on the search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo. The goal of SEO is to help companies reach the coveted first page of search engines, allowing for maximum visibility and the best chance of increasing patient inquiries.
There are several components of an effective SEO strategy for your functional medicine practice including:
1. Good Content: The phrase ‘content is king’ reigns supreme when it comes to formulating an SEO strategy. Search engines, especially Google, need to see valuable content on a website, optimized with relevant keywords and the locations you serve, in order to rank your site higher in search results. Content should be easy to read, informative, and static on each page of your website.
2. Mobile-Friendly Website: Having a website that is mobile-friendly becomes increasingly important every year as more and more users are searching for services and products on their phones, tablets, and other smart devices. In fact, over 52% of website traffic worldwide was on mobile phones in 2018. Mobile-friendly web designs are responsive and allow prospective patients to easily connect with your office via contact forms and clickable elements on the site.
3. SSL Certification: When Google directs traffic to a website it wants to make sure that the user is going to find the information they need and have a safe experience with the site. To ensure that patients find your site, it is important for the site to have Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certification. The search engines have become increasingly picky about secure sites, especially sites which require users to submit personal information through a contact form, so it is important to make sure your site is safe and secure for all of your users.
4. Google Business Listing: Creating a Google Business Listing is another important factor of ranking in search results. A Google Business Listing proves to Google that you are a real business with a physical location, while also providing valuable information to local patients looking for your medical services such as your hours of operation, phone number, website, and description about the type of services you provide.
5. User-Friendly Website: Poorly designed websites, outdated websites, and websites without good content often deter users from contacting a company for services. For this reason, search engines will also direct people away from these type of sites because of the poor user experience. To ensure that people interact with your site and your site ranks well in search results, it is vital to design a website that is aesthetically pleasing, simple to interact with, provides valuable information, and has a clear call-to-action.
As functional medicine doctors, connecting with your audience and the people who need your services is the key to running a successful practice. If you are interested in learning more SEO tips for your office’s website, please read this article from FunctionalMedicineSEO.com.