This weekend I spent a several days training and mentoring doctors from across the country on how to run a successful functional medicine clinic. The mastermind session was one of the best I have ever had. My white board was on fire with information. Here are some of the components we discussed that you should understand well if you want to have success in your FM practice.
Branding and USP
Today’s health care market can be highly competitive. To be successful, you must give patients and referring doctors a unique reason to choose you over your competition. In marketing circles this is called “branding”. Part of “branding” your office is identifying your USP (unique selling proposition). Your USP is what will help set you apart from every other doctor. It gives you the expert edge. The benefits of branding your office toward a unique niche include:
- Multiply referrals from doctors who know your specialty
- Attract new patients from the internet
- Improves your marketing ROI (spend less in advertising)
- Helps to ethically attract patients that are willing to pay out of pocket
- Sets you apart from your competition
- Increases your cash and ancillary services volume
- Increase overall revenue streams (passive and active)
- Easy to implement with today’s technology
- Increases the potential for free media coverage
Identifying Your Niche Market
I recommend that you start this process based on two fundamental things:
- Health Conditions that you are passionate about.
- Health Conditions that you have good experience treating.
For example, if you are passionate about treating women’s hormone issues, and you have experience clinically, this is probably a good place to start. The key to developing your niche and becoming reputable in your community is the next step.
Answer these questions about yourself honestly:
- What is unique about your approach vs. your competitors? (i.e. is it patented, different testing procedures…)
- What differentiates your services from your competitors? (i.e. spend more time with your patients)
Once you have established your USP, niche, and brand direction – you can move toward promoting it using social media and other advertising formats. Check out how I have done this with my clinic using Facebook – here <<<
You can learn more about marketing with these two articles:
Branding your practice is just one of a myriad of proven strategies you’ll take away from attending on of my Group Mastermind sessions.
If you are interested in attending one, you can get the application here (not everyone qualifies).